By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Monday, February 22, 2010

The WIP black hole

While at London-Wul yesterday Heidi confessed that she realized she had WIP projects that she had actually forgotten about. She felt it was time to sort through them all and make note of them all so this would not happen again.

I was shocked! How could you forget WIP projects, especially ones that were almost finished. I confidently informed the group that this would not happen to me because I only have about 5 WIPs at any one time. If I loose interest in a project I simply tear it apart and place my yarn back in my stash. I received some mixed looks, but was not concerned because we all have our own ways about us.

On the drive home in the car I started to count my WIPs in my head and before I got home I was up to TEN!!!

By the time I entered the house I was in a state of panic. Not only had a lied (inadvertently) to my friends, my projects were out of control. And just this weekend I started 2 more!

It was time to sort this out. I searched the app store for a lists app to use to store my active projects in my iphone. I wanted a list that could be prioritized as well. I found one called "To-Do First" that ranks projects (actually To Dos) by a combination of Pleasure, Profit, Importance and Urgency. This seemed perfect and I bought it for a mere $1.99. Considering all the money invested in these 'lost' projects that cost was irrelevent.

Another great thing about this app is you can choose the Ranking algorithm. For example, you can pick Pleasure geared, Importance & Pleasure geared or Urgency geared, etc. This is a very neat feature once you figure it out.

Confession time... Right now I have SEVENTEEN projects on the needles.

Here is their current Ranking using the Importance Geared algorithm:

  1. Troy's sweater
  2. Modern Baby Blanket
  3. Handspun Shawlette
  4. Flo's Afghan
  5. Linus Squares
  6. Nancy Bush KAL mitts
  7. Juno Regina Lace Shawl
  8. Bath Matt
  9. Bird in Hand Mitts
  10. Wisteria Socks
  11. Alpaca Wrist Warmers
  12. Plain socks
  13. Ribbon Lace Scarf
  14. Two Stranded mittens
  15. Haze Scarf
  16. Deep V Argyle Vest
  17. Dan's Hat

I better get knitting or frogging!

5 Comments:

At Monday, February 22, 2010, Blogger Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

Well, you didn't beat Heidi, who was at approximately 28 or 29 UFO's when I left her shop. But you are well on your way.

I am happy to say that since I instituted my flowchart rules for starting new projects, I don't have as many UFO's. My new rules require that I finish UFO's before casting on new projects.

But if you had asked before I instituted this... I would be at the same spot you and Heidi are at.

 
At Monday, February 22, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now come.on. you list making freaks!! Knitting is supposed to be fun, relaxing and therapeutic. It's the only place where you can let your mind (and projects) wander without true serious consequences (I don't believe anyone has lost its job because of an unfinished mitt).

So peleasssse, drop the lists and just be surprised when you find a forgotten WIP!

Manon

 
At Monday, February 22, 2010, Blogger The Gourmet Goddess said...

I can't believe you bought an app for knitting! That's hilarious! I'm with Manon, knitting is for fun. And this coming from the list queen! I do make a list of projects I want to do because otherwise I forget that there was something I wanted to do for someone. But otherwise I'm with Line, I only allow 3 WIPs max and mostly that is to give me different yarns and needles sizes to work with to balance any risk of carpule tunnel. Having to finish something so I can start something new that I'm excited about is great inspiration!

 
At Monday, February 22, 2010, Blogger Lady O said...

See... I distinguish between WIPs and UFOs. WIPs those are things I'm actually working on, usually have multiple ones but not too many. While UFOs are things that are on the needles, but really, honestly I'm not working on them. Doesn't necessarily make it any better, but it eliminates panic.

 
At Wednesday, February 24, 2010, Blogger Heidi, at London-Wul said...

he he... we could have an expert analysis on personality type and knitting infrastructure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home