By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Oh what have I done?!

If you have been reading my posts lately, you know that I have started 2 projects that are both due in the beginning of August. This is a new thing for me, to start projects with actually enough time to complete them when I need them, and I was so proud of myself that I had a plan and it was actually doable without throwing me into a panic the day before I needed the items complete. Well, I've gone and ruined that!

I found out that a friend is having a baby shower on the 22nd of July, only a couple weeks away, and I threw myself into planning mode. I had to find a sweater to make for the baby fast. Tuesday I spent looking at patterns then Wednesday I searched for yarn. I chose the Trellis cardigan from Knitty and off I went to London-Wul to find some yarn. The Trellis cardi is made with Rowan Cotton/Acrylic at 4st/inch gauge. I decided to go with the Mission Falls cotton and chose a nice beige color that would show off the cabling. As soon as I got home from work I started knitting one of the front panels (it was only 31 sts wide so no sense doing a swatch).

I didn't like it, it was reminding me of a wash cloth (no offense to the yarn cause it is really nice).

It was knitting/spinning night at London-Wul so I packed up my projects and off I went. When I got there I showed everyone and they all loved it. I still was not feeling good about it so I thought I'd try a ball of the Mission Falls Wool... it was instant love. Here are the two for comparison...

Cotton Trellis swatch Cotton

Wool Trellis swatch Wool

What is your opinion? Some of my fellow knitters at London-Wul said that the cotton would look great once it was washed up, or to try a different size needle. The cotton is definitely softer and cooler. I was tempted, but I have to really like the yarn and pattern to spend all that time knitting it up.

So now I have the Hedera socks, the Perfect Pie Shawl AND the Trellis Cardigan all to knit at the same time. At London-Wul I only worked on the Trellis cardi so I could see if I wanted to buy more of the wool or not, which I did buy. I didn't work on the sock at all. On the drive home I started to feel kind of paniced that I had too many things on the go so I came up with a plan (yes another plan) to make me feel better. I stopped and bought an iced cappacino, came home, lit a bunch of candles, put on some music on and knit the sock until it was finished. I forgot to mention that I didn't get home until 10:45pm so finishing the sock took me until 1am, but it's finished, grafted and all. And I feel so much better!

Hedera

With this one sock behind me I now feel better about knitting on the baby cardigan. Full speed ahead!

4 Comments:

At Friday, July 07, 2006, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Hmmm...with Trellis I much prefer the picture of the wool although is is hard to tell from a picture. I think it's going to be gorgeous...those cables are great. Nice socks too!!

 
At Friday, July 07, 2006, Blogger Emma said...

The sock is beautiful. I also prefer the wool. It looks amazing so far. I really don't think you can go wrong either way

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006, Blogger The Gourmet Goddess said...

You, take on too much?! NO, say it ain't so! I like the cotton better but I'm thinking of a baby wearing it. Is the wool easily washable?

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately prefer the wool. Although I might like the cotton if the fabric it created was more dense... I might bind off that off and wash and dry it to see what it looks like then. Love the sockk great color!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home