By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Happy Spinning

Happy Spinning
Saturday was Drop Spinning Day! Finally I was able to attend the drop spinning class given by Heidi at London-Wul. I had been looking forward to this since the last class back in October that I was unable to attend. A couple of 'internet' friends, Vicki and Michele, came all the way from Fredericton for the class (It was great to finally meet you two!) We decided to go out for lunch before the class because we had actually never met in person and this would be a good opportunity to spend a bit of time together. The lunch grew... everyone who was in the class (except one, sorry Anne) came for lunch with us. Kim, Betty, Line, Michele, Vicki, CJ and myself were all in attendance and it was a great way (except for the cold) to start the afternoon off.

Here we all are at the class spinning away.
Drop Spindle Class
We learned to spin carted Jacob(?) wool, then combed Polworth wool and also combed mohair. We also plied and took our samples and workbooks home. We not only learned how to spin, but we learned about many different fibres and the vocabulary used in the spinning world.

Fibre and Spindle
Apparently we all enjoyed it because I don't think even one person went home without first purchasing a bag of fibre to continue spinning with. I know myself, I'm already addicted. I've been spinning every chance I can grab (and I'm supposed to be studying for an exam). I'm finding myself thinking about the fibre and the act of spinning while reading my Economics text and I'm pretty sure there will not be any spinning related questions on the exam.

Spinnng at home
Well back to spinning.. I mean studying!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Monday, January 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really eager to know how your spinning workshop went... I forsee a nice spinning wheel under the X'mas tree MWAAAwaaaawaawaaa

Manon

 
At Monday, January 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just don't know where you find the time... Between homework, laundry and chores, I did not get a chance to drop spindle at all after the class. Maybe I can take my spindle with me on my trip next week... I might find time then...

I can't believe how much you actually have done.

 
At Monday, January 29, 2007, Blogger AnnKnits said...

Hey Tanya,

I have been spinning a lot too and loving it. Still not very good at it but I am having fun. By looking at the photos I see you are doing wonderfully well. I just pulled a little center pull ball off the spindle this morning (I don't work on Mondays). Not much consistancy of thickness yet but I will not give up until I feel I have the skill. I am going to the wheel spinning class on February 25th. Check it out on Heidi's website. Maybe I will see you there. Great meeting all you "kids". Hope to "fibre" with you again soon.

Ann

Check out my blog at http://knitsridiculous.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, January 29, 2007, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Looks and sounds like everyone had fun! I wish I could have been able to attend...maybe some other time (if they offer it again).

 
At Tuesday, January 30, 2007, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Spinning up a storm!! I haven't practised at all yet! Looks really good...

 
At Tuesday, January 30, 2007, Blogger TRJones said...

tan, we need to talk. i think i missed the point when you crossed over, where you used to be the one twirling the yarn, i think now the yarn is spinning YOU! crazy girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home