By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Long weekend of Spinning

I spent a lot of time this May long weekend spinning away on Juliet. It was raining so there was not a lot else to do (other than house work) but to sit in front of the window with the dogs at my feet and spin away.

First up was the Merino/Silk blend that is addictive to spin. I've already spun some of this and plied it but it turned out to be about 100m so I wanted more. I bought another 1/4 pound back and have now spun half of it.

Merino Silk on spool

Next up was to finish spinning the pink and yellow polworth I had spun as a thick and thin single ply with the intentions of knitting a wrap. I have a strong suspicion I will also need more of this, but it spins so fast. No pics of the yarn itself (unfortunately) but here is the project I'm making with it. I'm blending in a ladder yarn to add lenght and sparkle.

Handspun wrap project

Last but not least I spun up some wool in thick and thin single ply for my friend CJ. She had purchased this fiber after taking the drop spindle class but she never got around to spinning it yet. Now it's done and drying in my bathroom. The colors were really fun!

Handspun for CJ

While spinning, I listend to two podcasts: Cast On and Lime & Violet. I had never really listened to Lime & Violet before and they are kind of funny. Both casts mentioned a new site called Ravelry.com. It is a place to log all your knitting supplies, projects, in the queue projects, etc. And you can have friends and chat and share on it. FreckleGirl and her husband started it up and it is still in Beta. They have a waiting list of 4500 already! They hope to have the site fully open by the end of the month. I'm on the waiting list and just can't wait!

Line and I also went on the Fundy Studio Tour. Unfortunately, due to the rain and a few shops being closed, it was more fun last year. It was still an enjoyable afternoon and we found a few new places.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 22, 2007, Blogger The Gourmet Goddess said...

Thanks so much for doing my wool for me. With my allergy to wool, spinning it is not in my best interest. In fact, I might start wearing gloves to knit it. I can't wait to knit this up. I'm thinking a wrap would be nice.

 
At Tuesday, May 22, 2007, Blogger deirdre said...

Look at you, Tan, you are a spinning machine - such beautiful stuff, and such inspiration! I am going to have to get my ass out there to the East Coast just so you can teach me - you seem to be a natural!

 
At Tuesday, May 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spun some thick/thin yarn last Fall for scarf and ponchette but noticed that after some wear, the yarn became fuzzy. Studying why commercial yarn was not as fuzzy, I realised that a wee tiny thread (maybe synthetic) had been plyed into the yarn. You really have to look close to see it. I am considering trying that out the next time I spin thin/thick... but since you're so much faster at spinning, if you try it let me know what you think.

Yarn is lovely. Hope you're joining us for the handspinning retreat this Fall on PEI?

Manon

 
At Tuesday, May 22, 2007, Blogger Tammy said...

The yarn is gorgeous, can't wait to see what you make.

Oh by the way, you've been tagged ;)
Details on my blog.

 
At Thursday, May 24, 2007, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Great job on the spinning!

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2007, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Tanya your spinning projects are gorgeous!! I've still got my drop spindle in the back of the closet but watching you work is really motivating!! I just may have to dig it out.... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home