By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Dying for Vacation

Yesterday I had a vacation day and the only thing I had planned for the day was to get out the dye I bought months ago!

Back in November I received some Knit Picks Bare sock yarn from Tammy for her Blogaversary winning package. I had wanted to try dying so this was the perfect opportunity to get some dye and try it out. I went and bought the dye, a cranberry color, and was all set. Unfortunately my fear of the unknown got the best of me and I was intimidated to attempt the dying of this yarn.

Two weeks ago I received some natural Superwash merino fiber from a fellow spinner friend (Thanks Manon!) and this set me over the edge. It was now time to try dying and my vacation day was the perfect time for it.

I started out with the yarn because I figured the fiber may be more difficult and have a higher risk of felting.

Yarn soaking

and two colors made up in mason jars. One on the left was 1 tbsp with 1 cup of water and the one of the right is 1/4 tbsp with once cup. They basically looked the same in the jar (keep in mind I only have cranberry dye).
Dye stock made

My plan was to pour some of the light on randomly then some of the darker pink randomly. This in my mind was to make a varigated yarn of sorts.

Here is the pink poured on:
Lighter dye poured on

Now with the dark poured on:
Darker dye now poured on

That is how I wanted it to look but alas, all my planning was for not. They blended together due to either the temperature, acidity or maybe just too much dye. I'm yet to determine which.
After simmering for 10 mins

All in all, even though the colors bled together, I'm quite pleased with the end result.
Finished dyed merino
Hand dyed Merino yarn

Next was the fiber. I split it in half and dyed one half a darker pink and one half a ligher pink. Again, I poured these colors on randomly in the pot.
More dark poured on fiber

I thought I'd ruined the fiber and felted it when I removed it from the water.
Light and dark pink superwash

Luckily, after a spin in the washing machine on the spin cycle, both turned out just fine and are still fluffy. No harm done.
Superwash merino drying

My plan for this fiber is to ply the two colors together after spinning them into singles. I love the blend of the two pinks.
Hand dyed Superwash merino

Time to get more colors!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous results. Again I'm jalous, you're so gifted with fiber!!

Manon

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007, Blogger deirdre said...

Looks great! I am planning to try some vacation dyeing myself next week - hope it comes out even half as nice as yours did!

 
At Wednesday, August 01, 2007, Blogger Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

Wow, the colors look great! Now what are you going to make with these new treasures?

 
At Thursday, August 16, 2007, Blogger Tammy said...

The colors are just gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you make.
Happy knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home