By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Date night

The last two Fridays at our place have been date night. This is a time that Troy, my husband, and I spend together doing whatever we decide to do, as long as we do it together.

The last two Fridays were centered around fiber stuff, believe it or not. It was Troy's idea, but a couple week's ago he decided he'd like to try dying. Of course I was game for this. I dug out fiber from a mill I'd been to that was not my favorite stuff and had been bought to experiment and play with. We opened a bottle of wine (and later a second) and got out the dye supplies. He mixed all the colors up as this was his project.

The first two skeins we used the cold method and then steamed them.
IMG_1958.JPG

Then we got ambitious and I grabbed some fiber I had bought from the mill. This time we used the hot method and put a dye pot on the stove.
IMG_1967.JPG

I had a certain color in mind that I was trying to match and wanted to see if I could put Troy's artistic skills to use.
IMG_1974.JPG
The ball of yarn was the color we were aiming for. Not exactly but at least we were in the right direction.

By the end of this date night we had this hanging in the shower.
IMG_1975.JPG


So the next week, Troy decided he wanted to learn to spin up the fiber he had dyed the week before. Just so everyone knows, we learned that date night and wine go much better with dying than with spinning. I was a little paranoid he was going to break my wheel and he spun away and I sat beside him trying to control his every move. Not the best situation. In the end though he did end up with something resembling a yarn. I'm not sure who is going to knit with this, I'm hoping it's Troy.

IMG_2014.JPG

3 Comments:

At Saturday, December 01, 2007, Blogger deirdre said...

I LOVE that you do this kind of thing together - it gives me great hope...

and your colours are so nice!

 
At Saturday, December 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know what I'm doing wrong with my dyeing... the wine! I'm not drinking wine.

Manon

 
At Monday, December 03, 2007, Blogger The Gourmet Goddess said...

The only thing sexier than a man in the kitchen is a man at the spinning wheel. You go Troy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home