By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

To be or what to be?

That is the question... what should this yarn be?



It is to be a sweater but has had quite a history thus far and is still not even completed yarn. Truly it is still in it's infancy stage but has a story to tell.

First, this fleece was to be a learning project. I bought Shetland lamb fleece as one of my first spinning projects to see what it was like to spin such a very short staple length. I hated it, and then carded it with a little bit of silk to help compensate for the short staple and spun it into a single. I also decided I do not like spinning such a short staple (~1"). That was last year (Fall 2007).

Then this year (Summer 2008), I decided I've spun too much yarn that just gives me enough for small projects like scarfs, hats and socks. I decided if I found another fleece that could match this I could ply it with the shetland and have double the yardage and make a sweater for Troy. Since Troy's last sweater was way too small (and he's a pretty small guy).
Tizzie Sweater

I mentioned that I was on the look out for a dark brown or black fleece to Heidi. Very shortly after that she provided me with Blossom's fleece from the spring shearing of 08. It was perfect! It was dark grey (almost black) with white guard hairs as Blossom is a Lincoln/Romney/Shetland cross (I think). And ironically she is best balls with Tizzie who was the first sheep's fleece I spun from Heidi (for Troy's too small sweater).

I have been spinning the Blossom fleece and plying it with the Shetland lamb and it is turning out to be a terrific wool. Very springy, interesting and durable.

Next thing you know Troy starts getting honest about his 'sensitivity' to wool. He is VERY fussy about what gets put next to his skin to the extreme that an alpaca scarf I knit him is 'ichy' according to him. It must be the guard hairs left in the alpaca cause it so super soft (and expensive!). Just recently I finished a cashmere/alpaca/wool scarf for him and that is soft enough for his 'delicate' skin.

SO... now that I know how he reacts to anything but cashmere, I've decided this yarn will not be for a sweater for Troy. He will not appreciate it's texture, durability and pure woolness.

That is actually great news cause I am going to use it for a sweater for me! Now, which sweater...

Here are some choices I'm musing over:

- February Lady Sweater
- Garter Yoke Cardigan (Knit.1 Winter 2008)
- Go Retro (Knitter's Winter 2008)
- Garter Stitch Collard Jacket (Eco Wool)
- or a made up pattern?

Of course the yarn does not fit any of the above exactly. It seems to be a heavy worsted and I'm currently knitting a swatch with 5.5 mm needles.

Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

At Saturday, January 24, 2009, Blogger Kelly said...

What about Ysolda's pattern Leisl?? Or something from 'A Fine Fleece'?

 
At Sunday, January 25, 2009, Blogger deirdre said...

The sweaters you've chosen have a common look to them - you could take whatever you like best from each and make your own... spin your own wool, design your own sweater... and if anyone could do it it's you!

 
At Monday, January 26, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on poor Troy, I know what he means about 'sensitive' skin, especially in winter. I have some amazing sweaters that my mom knit for me, but I don't wear them as often as I'd like because of my sensitivity. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home