By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Sock Wars has begun

Sock Wars started off with a fizzle yesterday when Hurricane Gordon decided to play havoc on the power and network infrastructure in Belfast where the Yarn Monkey is located. There were over 700 knitters anxiously waiting to get their final weapon... the pattern! Finally at 4:30pm my time it arrived. It was the middle of the night for knitters overseas.

The pattern was fun, a really neat ribbing, called the Rib of Doom. The pattern is on Yarn Monkey's blog if you want to try it out, even if your not in battle.

I casted on at 5:15pm (in the car on the way home, I wasn't driving). Had a break while I went out for supper, then knitted all night long. Completed both socks at 3:30am (yes I'm insane). I had not received my target yet because Yarn Monkey is still having emailing problems, so I made them a size 8 since that is pretty average and would fit almost all size feet. When I woke up this morning at 9am our targets were posted on the blog. Of course, my quivering target Ted takes a size US 11 so off with the toes for the socks. It took me another couple ours to frog the toes and reknit them again. They are now in the mail but won't go out until Monday. Ted lives in St.Louis and the mail lady said it's going to take 2-3 weeks to get there! I hope she's wrong, but if Ted is reading this, you got plenty of time to finish your socks before mine will arrive. Kind of anti-climatic after rushing to get them finished, but now I can move on to other things.

Sock Wars Package ready

In other sock news:

Cape Cod socks are finished, sort of. One is too small by a lot! I have to frog the toe (seems to be a new trend) but I'll get to that later.



One Autumn sock is completed. This is made from the Knit Picks Simple stripes yarn. Just a plain ol' sock.

Autumn sock in the sunlight

And here is the pair I've made lately. Well not really a pair. I started the Autumn sock and this Father and Son sock at the same time and have been knitting a bit of each. Now I have one of each completed, hope this doesn't cause a case of second sock syndrome! The Father and Son pattern is from Interweave Knits Fall 2006 and the yarn is Essential Tweed in Inca Gold from Knit Picks. I'm using 2.75mm needles for these, but next time I'd use smaller needles. I'm getting the correct gauge but it's just not tight enough for me. I should always rememeber, the smaller the better when it comes to sock needle sizes.

Father n Son Inca Gold sock

Just so I don't get pegged as an exclusively sock knitter, I have started the Green Mohair cardigan that I wanted to knit up for myself for the fall. More to come on this project soon. Fall is here so I'm going to see if I can complete it this season. Christmas knitting might need to take a back seat temporarily.

5 Comments:

At Monday, September 25, 2006, Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

What the?!! You mailed your pair already!
I don't get why the mail is so slow though - what reason did she give that it would take so long. Weird.
I am glad to see your cuff looks shortish - I was just thinking mine looked a little stubby - but mine are a Size 8.
You are incredible Tanya!
Think of the potential targets you could be lining up right now...

 
At Monday, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A pair of socks in a weekend... my hero! GO GO TANYA GO!

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Wowsa - that's a lot of socks!! Very impressive. I love the simple stripes...yours look cuter than they do in the catalog I think.

 
At Friday, September 29, 2006, Blogger Carol said...

Beautiful socks,

Such vivid colours

 
At Saturday, September 30, 2006, Blogger Teri.p said...

Love all your socks! Congratulations on completing your Socks of Doom - what luck, getting a target with big feet! Good luck in the wars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home