By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Half finished

This is the first time ever I've finished a Christmas gift so early. Hope that's a good sign that I won't be maxed out right until Christmas eve (not likely).

Here is Mom's white lace scarf. This is the scarf I started in January and it would not have taken really much time to knit up but I set it aside for months. I'm not thrilled with how it turned out, I don't think I picked the right lace pattern for the yarn. I've seen this scarf knit up and it's beautiful. It's called Kim's Lace Scarf but it's supposed to be knit in an angora/alpaca blend from London-Wul farm. I would highly recommend the pattern, but use a different yarn than me. The yarn I used was not nearly as luxorious as it was bought at a yard sale for 25 cents and I have a ton of it... all for 25 cents, seriously. I'm not sure what it is but I did some tests (thanks to my Knitting Rules book) and I think it's a natural fiber. I'm going to try to find a better lace pattern for it but for now, at least I have one gift made. Luckily Mom likes her scarves short :o)

DSC01301.JPG

Half a pair of Cape Cod Memories 3x1 Rib socks which is a gift for my step dad.

Cape Cod Memories Rib Sock

And half a pair of Lavendar Blue Yarn Botanika Jaywalker socks for ME :o) The next jaywalker is already casted on. I figure I might as well finish the socks for me first since I can wear them right away and the others will just sit around until Christmas.

DSC01297.JPG

Does anyone have any pointers on avoiding pooling? I was loving this colorway while knitting the leg and even the heel, but when I got just past the instep it started to pool. It doesn't look too bad, but I loved the leg pattern so much more. I tried four times to break the yarn and position it so it would stop pooling but I didn't have any success. Now I'm kind of wondering what the next sock will look like!

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 05, 2006, Blogger deirdre said...

Hey, Tanya, the scarf is beautiful, and I LOVE the socks, both of 'em - I had a pooling problem with socks, and fixed it by alternating rows between 2 balls - yes, it can be a pain, but it worked - if I recall, Troy was holding up more than one ball from the skein? Might be worth a try...
of course, pooling looks kind of neat, too...

 
At Wednesday, September 06, 2006, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Wow! You have got a LOT of projects on the go and I love all of them! Great job on the scarf and socks - I actually don't mind the pooling personally... :-)

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Busy Girl! Love the scarf and socks. I do the same as Deirdre and knit from 2 different balls when I don't want pooling however since I knit 2 socks at the same time that would mean 4 balls on the go and that is just too much ... so I am all for sock pooling ;)

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2006, Blogger YarnB said...

Usually with hand dyed yarn it is best to knit from two balls of it to avoid pooling if it happens.... Like your friends say!! Do a row or two from one ball and then from another. I see what you mean! I saw your post on flickr and left you a note there too.. It is interesting how it doesn't happen on the leg though.. It looks pretty and I hope you liked your present!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home