By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fiber tyme

I am officially off of my spinning hiatus!

I completed spinning the blended merino I purchased from CJ Kopec creations.

This...
IMG_2714.JPG

turned into this...
IMG_2862.JPG

It was pink, brown and caramel but it spun up to have a purple. It's very soft and at a very rough guess I'll have about 400-500m from the 8 oz I bought.

I also finally dyed the merino/sea cell blend from last years Spinning Retreat. It is from the Belfast Mini Mills in PEI and it is prepared in almost a pencil roving.

This ....
IMG_2880.JPG


Turned into ....
IMG_2883.JPG

I tried something knew this time and put the dye directly onto the fiber in the pot with out mixing it with water first. I had much more control over where the dye was going to go but as I had had the opposite experience in the past with it premixed I was over cautious with the brown and ended up with way less brown then I intended. Actually less green as well because I had planned for it to be darker. I may dye it again and see what I get but I'm scared to handle the fiber again as the roving is becoming harder to draft.

I've also spun half a 4 oz bag of the cashmere/merino 50/50 blend I also bought at the spinning retreat from the mini mills. It is an amazing joy to spin and is super soft. I plan on plying it with a thin single of silk, but we'll see if I stick to that plan. I'm spinning it natural, pre dying, which is odd for me. Pictures to come, but they are kind of boring since there is no way the beige single in the picture can demonstrate how soft and wonderful it is in person.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 25, 2008, Blogger deirdre said...

Gosh, you're good! Your handspun looks just beautiful, and I love the way you're playing with dye!

I've set myself some lofty goals this summer, once the boys are done school, and will be looking to you for inspiration...

no pressure or anything...

 
At Thursday, June 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The merino roving looks like a pretty, pink, sleeping kitten!

Pal O Yours

 

Post a Comment

<< Home