By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Blocking?

To block or not to block?

I have a confession... I've been knitting for 25 years (yup, since I was 5) and I have NEVER blocked anything. I've made tons of sweaters, some of which did turn out and are still worn today. But I've never blocked any of them. I'm not really sure how or when to block items. Since I've been reading all the wonderful blogs out there on knitting it seems that everyone else blocks their items except for me. So here I go.. I'm blocking the trellis sweater before sewing it together.

Is this the correct thing to do? Do you block before or after sewing, or both? I soaked these items and then spread them on a towel to the correct dimensions now I'm just letting them dry. Is this correct? Does anyone have any helpful tips or info on blocking for me?

Trellis Blocking

1 Comments:

At Sunday, July 16, 2006, Blogger Steph said...

Hey Tanya,
If you block your sweaters before seaming it makes it alot easier to find the edges for stitching.

When I block sweaters (mind you, I've only knit four sweaters and they were all baby sweaters), I pin the edges. I block my stuff on the spare bed - layering a plastic bag, then towel then the item to be blocked. The mattress if full of little holes.

The Yarn Harlot had a great tutorial on blocking lace (It's MAGIC). And Fluffa (skinnyrabbit.com) has some great tutorials too. She has her own "blocking board" idea, which I've used.

Trellis is so adorable. I've got to put that on my to do list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home