By Tanya

This is a site to catelog, track and share all the various projects I create. It is intended to share and log successes and failures of my various craft projects. Soon you will see Handmade Cards, Knitting projects, Scrapbook pages, and Quilting projects, to name a few.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Happy Birthday Hughie & Canada

IMG_2902.JPG
Every year my step-dad Hughie must share his birthday with our beloved country of Canada as his birthday falls on Canada Day long weekend. This year Troy and I had no Canada Day plans so we spent the Monday with Hughie and Mom. Well I spent the day with them shopping and Troy spent the evening and night, as poor Troy had to work on Monday (sucker!) Troy came home from work and barbecued up some delicious pork loin and we had my mom's homemade potato salad. Perfect summer time meal, if only we had some summer time weather to go with it. Guess you can't have everything.

IMG_2900.JPG

I made Hughie the best chocolate cake I've ever baked and it was completely from scratch.
IMG_2896.JPG
It was so simple that I don't know why any one would bother buying a cake mix really. It was called "Hersey's Perfect Chocolate Cake" and it lived up to it's name. The decorating wasn't exactly perfect but seeing it was helped along by quite a few glasses of wine it did nicely.

Hughie's birthday present was a brand new (off the needles that morning) pair of socks and two bottles of Innes & Gunn Oak-aged Beer. (Side note: if you haven't tried Innes & Gunn go directly to your local beer store and demand they order some in from Edinburgh Scotland. You will not be disappointed).
IMG_2905.JPG
Size: Men's 10 (11" long)
Needles: 2.25 mm Addis
Method: Magic loop
Yarn: Tofutsie
Details: Toe-up, 80 sts, 3x1 rib

These socks were knit up with Tofutsie yarn which is a terrific summer sock yarn consisting of 1/2 wool, 1/4 cotton and 1/4 soy silk. There is a little bit of chitin in it (something from shells) but I don't think it does much to the consistency of the yarn really. I've made a couple pairs of socks with it and it washes up beautifully and gets softer and softer with wear.

Canada Day turned out to be a beautiful summer day and Troy and I headed to the beach in Shediac. No pictures but let's just say there was a little knitting, a little reading and a little dozing. Perfect beach day!

2 Comments:

At Thursday, July 03, 2008, Blogger deirdre said...

Sounds like you had a great long weekend - and one of the many life lessons I have learned is that just enough wine masks a myriad of things...

although I think your cake looks great... I'm going to see if I can find that beer today, too...

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2008, Blogger The Gourmet Goddess said...

Best beer ever

 

Post a Comment

<< Home